Fire destroys Carlyss home

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Vickie Peoples, Staff Writer

It was very early Monday morning and within days of Christmas that a devastating fire destroyed the Carlyss home of Gaye Cormier and her three children. No injuries were reported.
“We received a call a little after midnight [Sunday night]. When the first truck arrived on the scene about three minutes later, 80 to 90 percent of the house was on fire. The Sulphur Fire Department was called in [to assist],” said James Stanley, acting Carlyss Fire Chief, of the structure fire at 824 W. Dave Dugas Road.
According to David Currie, Gaye’s father, her 12 year-old daughter Megan heard the fire and woke up her mother, who is deaf, her sister Molly, 11, and her brother Matt, 5. They were all able to escape but were not able to get their dog out. However, the dog managed to hide next to the bathtub and survive the fire.
“Her pride and joy dog hid next to the bathtub for two hours and survived,” said Currie.
The family escaped with their lives but lost all of their possessions.
“Everybody is fine. They are staying next door with Gaye’s mother. People have been coming by and dropping off canned goods, clothes and gifts,” said Currie.
Locally, radio station KYKZ 96 is collecting donations for the family at Cameron State Bank. Just mention that the donation is for Gaye Cormier.
According to Stanley, the fire allegedly began in the fireplace’s flue where a bird’s nest had caught on fire. The fire then allegedly spread along the wall. The fire chief advises that anyone with a fireplace needs to make sure their chimney is clean before usage.
“It’s too close to Christmas for this,” said Stanley.