Despite challenges, Sulphur forging ahead
Published 11:17 am Wednesday, November 17, 2021
Sulphur is rebuilding. The city may not be where it was before March 2020, nevertheless, signs of growth can be found throughout the area. Lena McArthur, West Calcasieu Chamber of Commerce executive director calls it forging ahead despite challenges. Here is a rundown of a few new projects in the works.
• On Monday, Nov.15, the owners of Calcasieu Industrial Park announced the construction of a new office building for Citgo Petroleum Corporation. Work began earlier this month on the 50,300- square-foot office space for administrative offices and parking area with 194 spaces.
This new project is located between Interstate 10 and Swisco Road. Calcasieu Industrial Park is a land development partnership between Sealy & Company and Ratcliff Companies, offering tenants and buyers lease, build-to-suit and purchase/build opportunities.
• Tulco Storage has completed a new warehouse at 2830 East Napoleon St.
“Two weeks before the hurricane, we had the space ready and had given the green light to order the building and the go ahead for construction,” said Tulco spokesperson Kirk Weldon. “It’s a good thing we did because there were no delays in getting the building materials after the hurricane to complete the project.”
The new warehouse offers 67,000-square feet. Ceiling height is 50 feet at center and 30 feet at eaves. Storage is for local industrial plants for climate-sensitive motors, pumps, compressors, etc.
Tulco started in 1997 with 12,000 square feet of industrial storage. Today, the company offers 310,000 square feet of industrial storage in Sulphur.
Sulphur contractor Joseph Hardy is in charge of the project between the Circle K and United Office Supply on Maplewood Drive near the intersection of Cities Service Highway.
Hardy said the paved parking lot will be complete in about two weeks and will provide expanded parking for Maria’s Cocina Mexicana, located at 106 S. Cities Service Hwy. Behind United Office Supply & Equipment Co., at 4005 Maplewood Drive, and at 4001 Gordon St., Hardy is putting the finishing touches on a warehouse for United Office Supply.
• Sulphur contractor Carl Hardy Construction is building new offices for his construction business at 3401 Maplewood Drive.
• Garret Coates, manager of Home Building Materials, located at 435 E. Napoleon, said the construction work going on next to its store is a sign that the business is taking the steps necessary to rebuild operations to pre-storm levels.
• The dirt work has begun for a project at the corner of Center Avenue and Napoleon Street for a new Enterprise Rent-A-Car location. Trahan Construction is contractor. The American Press contacted Enterprise Holdings for additional information but has not heard from the company.
Want to highlight a coming business? Be published for receiving a winning bid on a new construction project, or just find out about commercial building in your area? Email information to firstname.lastname@example.org.